Yield: 6 cookie dough ice cream sandwiches // Total Time: 4 hr. 45 min. // Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links. //
Edible cookie dough sandwiched with vanilla ice cream and coated with chocolate.
small batch cookie dough ice cream sandwiches
It’s hot outside which means it’s the perfect time for ice cream! This recipe is no-bake which means there’s no need to turn on your oven and make your house even hotter. Here’s why you’ll love these ice cream sandwiches:
- They contain a perfect amount of cookie dough. Cookie dough ice cream is notorious for never having enough cookie dough. Here we have cookie dough sandwiching vanilla ice cream, making for a delicious amount of cookie dough in every single bite.
- They’re super customizable. You can make these gluten-free and/or dairy-free so so easily. More notes on that later in this post!
- No oven is required. I said it before, but I think it’s a big enough plus to include again!
heat treat the flour!
This step is *super super super* important. You might think that the only problem in standard cookie dough is eating raw eggs, but the truth is that the flour is just as dangerous to be eating raw! There are two ways that you can heat treat your flour to make it safe to eat.
In the microwave. This is the method I use in this recipe because it is fast and easy. Simply spread the flour out on a microwave-safe plate and microwave it in 30 second intervals until the flour reads 165°F / 74°C. This usually takes me about 2 minutes total.
In the oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Spread the flour out over a clean baking tray and bake until the flour reaches a temperature of 165°F / 74°C. This should take 5-10 min.
weigh your ingredients
Weighing your ingredients is important for getting the recipe perfect and getting consistent results. Not weighing your ingredients can lead to adding too much or too little of an ingredient which can give you some undesirable results. This kitchen scale is super cheap and worked well for me when I was starting out! If you don’t have access to a scale, here is the best way to measure flour: fluff up the flour with a fork, then use a spoon to scoop it into your measuring cup. Use a knife to level off the top of the cup, then use as directed. Weighing won’t make or break your recipe as much here since this is a no-bake recipe, but it helps with consistency and ease of measuring!
room temperature ingredients
It is important for the ingredients to be at room temperature so that they properly incorporate with each other. If you have ever had your batter look curdled, it is most likely due to the ingredients separating from being at different temperatures. Take out the butter at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hr 30 min. before starting the recipe. A little hack that I do is microwave the butter in 5-second intervals until it’s no longer cold (but not hot.)
the ice cream cake needs time to set
The bars will need to be set in the freezer for at least 4 hours but will be best if it’s made in the beginning of the day and served at night, or if it’s made at night then served the next day.
ingredients and substitutions
All purpose flour: gives the cookie dough structure. We will heat-treat the flour so that it is safe to eat! I’ve also tested this with gluten-free flour and almond flour which work perfectly. You don’t need to heat-treat almond flour but you do need to heat-treat the 1:1 gluten free flour.
Salt: for balancing and bringing out the sweetness of the cookie dough
Unsalted butter: gives the cookie dough that classic butter-y flavor and helps it hold up at room temperature. If using salted butter, just omit the extra salt from the dough. You can also sub in dairy-free butter sticks!
Light brown sugar: for sweetness and for more depth of flavor
Milk: adds a bit of moisture to the dough. You can use any kind of milk or milk alternative for this.
Vanilla: for flavor.
Mini chocolate chips: we will use mini chocolate chips because these are small truffles and we don’t want any large chocolate chips sticking out!
Vanilla ice cream: I used vanilla bean, but any vanilla – or really any flavor that goes with cookie dough will work here!
Semi-sweet chocolate chips: for coating the bars. You can use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate here, but semi-sweet is what I went with!
Vegetable oil: a tiny bit of vegetable oil mixed into the chocolate makes it more smooth and helps with easily coating the truffles. Any neutral oil, such as canola, will work here.
how to make cookie dough ice cream sandwiches
cookie dough ice cream sandwiches q&a
can I make this gluten-free?
Yes! The ones pictured here are actually made with almond flour! I’ve also tried them with 1:1 gluten free flour and they work perfectly. Please be sure to still heat-treat the flour if you are using a 1:1 gluten-free flour. If you are using a nut flour, you do not need to heat-treat it.
can I make this dairy-free?
Yes! Just use your favorite non-dairy butter stick, non-dairy milk, dairy-free chocolate chips & non-dairy ice cream. These are truly super easy and super customizable!
what size loaf pan do I need?
You will need an 8×4″ loaf pan and an 8″ square pan. If you don’t have an 8″ square pan, you will just have to pat the cookie dough into an 8″ square, freeze, and then cut. If you only have a 9×5″ loaf, you will want to pat the dough into a 9″ square, then freeze and cut.
can I double this recipe?
Of course! You can double the ingredients and make two 8″ squares to layer on top of each other to make 9-16 squares of cookie dough ice cream, or you can double the ingredients and make them in two different loaf pans.
why do you measure in grams?
My recipes are all written in grams because it is the most accurate way to bake. When you use a kitchen scale, you ensure that your baked goods turn out as close to the written recipe as possible. Plus, the cleanup is way easier when using a scale! I will provide standard cup measurements but please note that I have not tested the recipe using cup measurements and therefore can not guarantee your recipe will come out how mine did. Here is my favorite kitchen scale.
tools and ingredients
You can find all my favorite tools and ingredients that I use on my Amazon Storefront page, here!
a quick video on how to make cookie dough ice cream sandwiches –
did you make these cookie dough ice cream sandwiches?
If you made this cookie dough ice cream sandwich I would love to see and know your thoughts! Please leave a comment and review down below, and tag me on Instagram @freshbeanbakery. If you have any questions about the recipe I will gladly do my best to answer them in the comments below!
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 150 g all purpose flour* (1 ¼ c.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 113 g unsalted butter (8 tbsp.) room temperature
- 140 g light brown sugar (⅔ c.)
- 1 tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 90 g mini chocolate chips (½ c.)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (2 c.)
- 250 g semi sweet chocolate chips (1 ½ c.)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
- HEAT TREAT THE FLOUR. Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F / 74°C.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (~3 min.)
- Add in the milk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add in the flour and salt. Beat until almost all the flour is incorporated, then beat in the chocolate chips.
- Line an 8×8 pan with plastic wrap. Pat the cookie dough down into the pan, then set it in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden a little. Pull out the ice cream while you're waiting.
- After 20 minutes, lift the cookie dough out of the pan and cut it in half.
- Line a 8×4" loaf pan with plastic wrap. Place one half of the cookie dough down into the pan (you may have to press it in a little.)
- Top the cookie dough with the ice cream, and smooth it into an even layer. Top the ice cream with the other half of the cookie dough.
- Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap and leave it in the freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
- Add the chocolate and oil to a microwave save bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until the mixture is smooth.
- Slice the cookie dough loaf into 6 slices. Drizzle chocolate over half of each bar, then serve and enjoy!