Yield: 13 chocolate chip cookies
Total time: 1 hr.
Disclaimer: This page includes affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through one of my links, I will earn a small commission and you will be supporting my blog at no additional cost to you!
Does the internet really need another chocolate chip cookie recipe? I think so! There are thousands of chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, but they all serve different audiences. You have the soft and chewy, the soft and crispy, the thin and crispy, the ultra thick and chewy. Today I have for you what I deem to be the ~perfect~ chocolate chip cookie, with crispy edges and a soft and chewy center. These chocolate chip cookies are the perfect blend of delicious and easy. They don’t require a mixer and come together in 1 hour.
A couple of things to note:
1. Measuring the ingredients. It is important that you weigh the ingredients so that the recipe turns out correctly. Incorrectly weighing the flour in this recipe could lead to a very crispy, undesirable cookie. Here is my favorite kitchen scale, and here’s an article about why I use a kitchen scale, and why you should too!
2. Room temperature ingredients. It is important that the eggs are at room temperature so that they incorporate well with the dough. Be sure to take out your eggs at least 30 minutes before making these cookies. A little trick if you forget to take the eggs out (like I often do) is to let the eggs sit in a bowl warm water for 10 minutes!
3. Do not overmix! When adding the flour at the end, you want to make sure to only fold the dough together until you see no more flour streaks. Over-mixing the dough will lead to super tough cookies due to too much gluten forming in the dough.
4. Chilling the dough. I know, this is also my least favorite part about baking: the waiting game. But chilling the dough allows the gluten to relax, more flavor to develop, and prevents your cookies from spreading out all over the place in the oven. A small chilling time of 30 minutes yields the best results for these chocolate chip cookies, I promise it’s worth it!
To make these chocolate chip cookies, you will need:
All purpose flour: gives cookies their structure and chewiness
Baking soda: interacts with the brown sugar to help these cookies rise and brown
Baking powder: helps the cookies rise
Salt: helps balance and bring out the sweetness
Unsalted butter: tenderizes the cookies and gives them that melt-in-your-mouth feel
Light brown sugar: sweetens, adds moisture, and adds a deeper flavor to the cookies
Granulated sugar: sweetens the cookies
Eggs: helps binds the dough together, the extra egg yolk lends more richness to the dough
Vanilla bean paste: I love using Heilala vanilla bean paste for extra flavor, but vanilla extract will also work perfectly!
Semi-sweet chocolate chips: feel free to use your favorite type of chocolate in place of semi-sweet!
Tools and ingredients helpful for making this recipe:
Happy baking! x
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 210 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 150 g unsalted butter melted
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 210 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the microwave or in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Pour the melted butter into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add in both sugars and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the egg and whisk until it is well incorporated. Then, add in the egg yolk and vanilla, whisking until fully incorporated as well.
- Add in the flour mixture and chocolate chips. Lightly fold the dough together just until no flour streaks remain.
- Cover the dough and let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use a 3 tbsp. cookie scoop to dish out the cookies, leaving at least 2" between each cookie to allow room for spreading. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Leave the cookies to continue baking on the cookie sheet for an additional 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Serve and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, I would love to see it and know what you think! Please leave a rating down below and tag me on Instagram @freshbeanbakery. Thanks for stopping by!